There are hundreds of chemicals in marijuana which are known as cannabinoids. These active chemicals in medical marijuana are similar to the ones in the marijuana used for recreational purposes. They are also similar to the chemicals in the body, which are related to appetite, memory, movement, and pain. According to research, the cannabinoids can:
- Decrease anxiety’
- Relieve pain and decrease inflammation
- Reduce the nausea and vomiting caused by cancer chemotherapy
- Kill cancer cells and slow down the growth of tumors
- In people with Multiple Sclerosis it can loosen the tight muscles
- Stimulate appetite and increase weight gain in people with cancer and AIDS
Medical marijuana got a lot of attention some years ago when many parents said that a particular form of the drug helped in controlling seizures in their kids. This is the reason that marijuana became popular as a treatment for epilepsy. This is also the reason that some epilepsy centers are testing a drug called Epidiolex which is made from CBD which is a cannabinoid present in medical marijuana. This drug is used as a therapy for people, who suffer from very severe or hard to treat seizures, and in the studies, there was a dramatic drop in seizures after taking this drug, however, it has not been approved by the FDA.